Court of Appeals Addresses Tinnitus and Statute of Limitations Issues

In PMX Industries v. Reich, No. 12-1824 (Iowa App. May 30, 2013), the court addressed issues of tinnitus and hearing loss in a workers' compensation setting, and addressed the issue of when notice had to be provided for a tinnitus claim.  Claimant was a long time worker for PMX, which was an admittedly noisy facility.  Claimant testified that although he wore hearing protection, he would often have to remove the hearing protection in order to hear people talking within the plant. In 2008 he was diagnosed with a hearing loss and resigned from his employment.

The doctor who addressed the hearing loss issues for the employer, Dr. Taylor, found that claimant had a 2.2% bilateral hearing loss.  Claimant was referred to Dr. Marlan Hansen at the University of Iowa, who agreed that claimant had noise-induced hearing loss.  Claimant was then referred to Dr. Plakke, who noted hearing loss, but indicated that because of the continued loss of hearing after he left PMX, this was not noise related.  He also indicated that claimant had tinnitus.

Claimant filed a petition and was evaluated by Dr. Tyler.  In a questionnaire for Dr. Tyler, claimant indicated he began to experience tinnitus in 2006 or 2007.   Dr. Tyler found that there was a 2% hearing loss and an impairment rating of 4.5% for tinnitus.  Defendants sent claimant to Dr. Hoisington, who indicated that claimant's tinnitus was not significant, but even if it was, it was not related to work.

The arbitration decision credited Dr. Tyler and Dr. Hansen and found that both the hearing loss and tinnitus were related to work.  The decision found that defendants' notice defense was not raised in the post-hearing brief and also noted the the employer had notice of hearing loss and found that the tinnitus did not require a second notice to the employer.  The decision was affirmed on appeal without comment.

On judicial review,  the court found that defendants had actual notice of claimant's hearing loss, which provided sufficient notice of "all hearing injuries including tinnitus."  The court found substantial evidence that claimant was exposed to noise and deferred to the commissioner on which medical opinions to accept.  The court also found that the combining of disabilities to make one disability rating was appropriate.

On the notice issue, defendants argued that notice of hearing loss was not the same as notice of tinnitus.  Although defendants had made the argument that there had been untimely notice, the court concluded that defendants post-hearing brief had not addressed legal arguments concerning notice.  Defendants argued that the first  time to address this issue was on intra-agency appeal, but the court concluded defendants did have the opportunity to raise this issue at the arbitration level and had not raised this issue at the earliest possible moment.  The appellate court found that the employer had the opportunity to raise this issue at the deputy level, but had failed to do so.  Since the employer had the burden of proving the affirmative defense, the failure to raise the issue at the earliest possible opportunity was fatal to its arguments on lack of notice.

On the question of whether notice had been provided of the hearing loss, the court found that there was a sufficient factual basis to support the finding of actual notice.  On the issue of the experts, the court noted that this was a question of fact, and found that this fact was supported by substantial evidence.  On the issue of the combination of tinnitus and hearing loss to produce a single industrial loss, the court noted that when an individual suffered both a scheduled and unscheduled loss, it was appropriate to combine these to reach one industrial disability, citing Miller v. Lauridsen Foods, Inc., 525 N.W.2d 417, 420 (Iowa 1994).  Finally, the court found that the conclusion that claimant suffered a 30% industrial disability was not irrational, illogical or wholly unjustifiable.

Comments

  1. I am sophie from Canada, I once suffered from a terrible and Chronic tinnitus ,in 2016, the doctor told me it has no permanent cure i was given medications to slow down its progress, i constantly felt my health was deteriorating as i constantly go out of breath,and this noise was really terrible especially when am sleeping, i have this constant ringing in my ears for about 8 months, this was really a terrible noise ,on thin one day that i was going through the internet,and i came across a post of Mrs Kate on how she was been cured from tinnitus through dr Williams herbal product, I contacted this herbal doctor via his email and explain everything to him and make purchase of his product,few days later he sent me the herbal medicine through courier service, when i received the herbal medicine i used it for 3 weeks as prescribed and i was totally cured of tinnitus within those week of usage,on thin now i have not hear anything ringing in my ears.if you need his help you can Contact this herbal doctor via his email drwilliams098675@gmail.com for help

    ReplyDelete
  2. ALL THANKS TO DR WILLIAMS WITH HIS HERB I WAS CURED FROM A TERRIBLE TINNITUS.
    . Is my pleasure to comment on this site and i thank the admin of this site for his/her great work so far. I really don’t know how to thank DR WILLIAMS for helping me get cured for over 20 year of suffering from a terrible tinnitus, my tinnitus started when i was 28 year i thought is going to end one day but even get worse as days went by,i have tried all western drugs prescribed by doctors but to no avail i lost total concentration, even at night i screams even more because the sounds become louder because everywhere is quiet. i came across DR WILLIAMS contact through a headline news on internet about how DR WILLIAMS have help so many people to get cured of tinnitus and so many other with similar body problem ,i contacted him and he told me how to get his herb,few day later he sent me the herbal portion which i take every morning for 28 days, and his medicine was able to restore my hearing back to normal and now am very okay without any side effects whatsoever If you have Tinnitus, you can contact him on his email address drwilliams098675@gmail.com for help

    ReplyDelete
  3. SPECIAL THANKS TO DR WILLIAMS FOR THE TINNITUS CURED HE
    RENDER TO ME.
    I'm giving a testimony about Dr. WILLIAMS the great Herbal man, he has
    the herbal cure to tinnitus, he cured my Tinnitus Ear problem,
    though I went through different website I saw a testimonies about this
    Dr Williams, I was like: 'Dr Williams have the Tinnitus cure why are
    people still suffering from it?' I thought of it, then I contact Dr Williams, I didn't believe him that much, I just wanted to give him a try, he replied my mail and Needed some Information about me, then I sent them to him, he prepared the (CURE) and sent it to me through Courier Service he gave my details to the Courier Office, they told me that 1-3 days I will receive the package and i took the medicine as prescribed by Dr Williams and I went for check-up 1 week after finishing the medicine, then the Tinnitus was not there, if you are suffering from Tinnitus virus you can contact him on his via email address: drwilliams098675@gmail.com for his herb

    ReplyDelete
  4. ALL THANKS TO DR WILLIAMS WITH HIS HERB I WAS CURED FROM A TERRIBLE TINNITUS.
    . Is my pleasure to comment on this site and i thank the admin of this site for his/her great work so far. I really don’t know how to thank DR WILLIAMS for helping me get cured for over 20 year of suffering from a terrible tinnitus, my tinnitus started when i was 28 year i thought is going to end one day but even get worse as days went by,i have tried all western drugs prescribed by doctors but to no avail i lost total concentration, even at night i screams even more because the sounds become louder because everywhere is quiet. i came across DR WILLIAMS contact through a headline news on internet about how DR WILLIAMS have help so many people to get cured of tinnitus and so many other with similar body problem ,i contacted him and he told me how to get his herb,few day later he sent me the herbal portion which i take every morning for 28 days, and his medicine was able to restore my hearing back to normal and now am very okay without any side effects whatsoever If you have Tinnitus, you can contact him on his email address drwilliams098675@gmail.com for help

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am Shelley from Los Angeles,California, I want to testify on how i got cured from tinnitus, I have suffered from ringing ears since the year 2011 with so mush pain,that i have to spend so mush money getting pain relief in the hospital, and I have visited several doctor ,but all to no avail, my world was gradually coming to an end because of the buzzing sound in my right ears, until i saw a post in a health forum about a herbal Dr Williams  who use herbal portion in curing people from different kind of diseases including tinnitus, at first i doubted if it we be able to cure me, but i decided to give it a try, when i contacted this herbal doctor  via his email, he prepared a herbal portion and sent it to me via courier service, when i received this herbal medicine, he gave me step by step instructions on how to apply it, when i applied it as instructed, i was completely free from tinnitus just for 1 months of usage,i we recommend this to all my friend family in the world today who still suffering from tinnitus you can contact him through his  email on drwilliams098675@gmail.com for help.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Court of Appeals Affirms Denial of Workers' Compensation Benefits; Rules on Credit Issue

2021 Workers' Compensation Appeal Decisions

2024 Workers' Compensation Appeal Decisions